Emmanuel Community Church was birthed by Pastor David Verzilli. David began his ministry in Youngstown in 1954 when he became an associate of the late Evangelist Kathryn Kuhlman immediately after his graduation from Eastern Bible Institute in Pennsylvania.
He conducted weekly prayer meetings in Youngstown, Salem, Painsville and Franklin, Pa. at first, and his responsibilities increased as Miss Kuhlman's ministry expanded. Eventually he was conducting most Sunday services at Stambaugh, as well as prayer meetings in Youngstown, Pittsburgh and Cleveland.
When Miss Kuhlman died in 1976, the Kathryn Kuhlman Ministry, based in Pittsburgh, continued to broadcast her taped messages and mail her books and other publications. Pastor Verzilli assumed leadership of the congregation and eventually separated from the Kathryn Kuhlman Ministry to form a full-gospel interdenominational ministry called David Verzilli gospel ministry.
After being in Stambaugh Auditorium for 28 years (pictured on the bottom left), Rev. Verzilli and the congregation felt it was time to establish permanent headquarters somewhere else.
God led David to farmland located in Austintown, Ohio. It was the Pershing farm and when Mrs. Pershing heard that Rev. Verzilli wanted to build a church on that property she was thrilled. The selling price was $70,000.
The building is situated on 47 acres of partially wooded land which was purchased by the ministry in 1981. More than 70 percent of the work was done by members of the congregation who volunteered their services. They moved into the church in August of 1983.
The next 7 years were ones of great blessing, but in 1990 Rev. Verzilli decided to leave pastoring and go into evangelistic ministry...traveling to Pittsburgh for the next 12 years. In 2004 the name of the church was changed from Emmanuel Ministries to Emmanuel Community Church. Rev. David Verzilli went to be with His Lord in whom he preached for many years in January 2010.
His Legacy Still Lives On!